The Seaford District Library’s goal is to serve the members of our entire community in a professional and courteous manner while providing print and non-print materials, services and programming to meet the educational, informational and recreational needs of our patrons. While at the library, all patrons have the right to expect a safe atmosphere and areas designated for quiet study.
Patrons are expected to:
- Respect the rights of other patrons
- Supervise children in their care at all times
- Follow Delaware Computer Acceptable Use Policy
- Treat library staff and fellow patrons with courtesy
Rules of Conduct:
Patrons who engage in dangerous, destructive or criminal conduct will be instructed to leave the Library immediately. These include:
- Physical abuse or assault
- Making violent/threatening remarks
- Engaging in or soliciting any sexual act
- Damaging or destroying library property or grounds
Misconduct that may result in suspension of library privileges:
- Illegal activities/vandalism
- Using another patron’s library card
- Lying on the floor/sleeping in chairs
- Unsafe/rowdy behavior
- Animals (except service animals)
- Public displays of affection
- Behavior impaired by drugs/alcohol
- Using wheeled recreational devices
- Smoking, eating or drinking
- Inappropriate restroom behavior
- Loud/disruptive use of electronic devices
- No sales or solicitations of contributions or signatures by any outside organization or individual is permitted in the Library facility or on its grounds.
- All persons must leave the Library premises by closing time, when evacuation of the building is necessary or at any time when requested to do so by Library personnel.
Seaford District Library Staff will firmly and courteously enforce library rules.
Anyone who fails to meet these standards of acceptable behavior or any other Library policy may be required to leave the premises. If unacceptable behavior occurs again, the individual may be denied the privilege of Library use for a set period of time or indefinitely.
Seaford Police Officers will be asked to intervene if necessary.
Consequences for violations:
- 1st Violation: Patron may be required to leave library for the remainder of the day.
- 2nd Violation: Library privileges suspended for (7) days.
- 3rd Violation: Library privileges suspended as determined by Library Director.
Library privileges may be reinstated by arranging an appointment with the Library Director.
Depending on the severity of the infraction and on a case-by-case basis, action is at the discretion of the Director. We ask your cooperation in maintaining an environment that is safe and pleasant for all library patrons.